½ cup (eight tablespoons 4 oz massive lemon
1 cup (214 g) sugar (set aside 1 tablespoon for sprinkling)
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups (256 g) all-motive flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt (I like 1.25 tsp)
2 cups clean blueberries, picked over
½ cup buttermilk, see FAQs beneath
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, cream the butter with the lemon zest and the 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of sugar until mild and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk collectively the closing flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of of the flour aggregate to the batter, and stir with spatula to include. Add all of the buttermilk. Stir. Add ultimate flour, and stir till flour is absorbed. Fold within the blueberries. (Leave extra flour from the blueberry bowl in the back of.)
- Grease an 8- or nine-inch square baking pan (or something comparable—I select an eight-inch pan due to the fact I like the thicker pieces) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. If you’ve got parchment paper on hand, line the pan with parchment on top of the butter.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the batter with the closing tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 mins — a nine-inch pan can be carried out in towards 35 mins; an 8-inch pan normally wishes 40 to forty five minutes.
- Check with a toothpick for doneness. If vital, return pan to oven for a couple of greater mins. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 mins more might be vital, mainly in case you’re the usage of a smaller pan including an eight×8-inch.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Can this be made ahead of time? Yes. Prepare the batter, unfold it into the prepared baking pan, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep in the refrigerator. In the morning, if time lets in, deliver it to room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar, then bake as directed. It may also need extra time if the batter changed into refrigerated.
- Can this be doubled? Yes. Bake it in a nine×thirteen-inch pan. Increase the baking time but begin checking on the 35 minute mark.
- What if I don’t have buttermilk? Use 2% or complete milk or make your personal buttermilk: location 2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk till it reaches the 1/2-cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Use as directed.
- Can this be made gluten free? Yes. I like Cup4Cup and King Arthur Flour gluten-free flour mixes, however use whatever you want, maintaining in thoughts that every one gluten-free flours absorb liquid otherwise, so that you can also want to alter to get the batter to the right consistency.
- Should the batter be thick? Yes. As with all baking, I surprisingly endorse the usage of a scale to measure the flour. I actually have this one, which costs below $11.
- Can I bake this into cakes? Yes. Follow the baking guidelines in this publish.
- Can I use frozen berries? Yes. No need to thaw.
- What different fruit ought to I use? Really any fresh fruit or berries. Around the wintry weather vacations, I make this cranberry-orange buttermilk breakfast cake.