Gluten Free Lemon Bar Shortbread Crust
- 3/4 cup butter (or vegan margarine) 175g
- 1/3 cup sugar 75g
- 1 cup white rice flour 180g
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 40g
- 3 tbsp brown rice flour 30g
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
Gluten Free Lemon Bars Topping
- 1 cup sugar 300g
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice 150mls – from about 5 lemons
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter 112g
- 2 tbsp gluten free powdered sugar to dust
Make the Gluten Free Shortbread Crust
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Line the base and sides of a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- In a separate bowl measure the white rice flour, brown rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder and mix well to combine
- Add flour mix to butter/sugar and mix well until combined. form the mixture into a ball either by hand or using the paddle attachment on your mixer.
- The shortbread dough may be soft, especially if you used vegan butter. If this is the case simply refrigerate it for 30 minutes to 1 hour to firm up.
- Press your dough into the parchment lined baking pan and spread out evenly using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 350F for 20 mins or until lightly brown at the edges.
Make the Gluten Free Lemon Bar Topping
- Add the lemon juice, eggs, sugar, and butter, to a pan over a low to medium heat and stir constantly until it starts to thicken. It will take about 5-6 minutes.
- Don’t panic if it starts to curdle, but do ensure that you don’t have it on too high a heat.
- Once it’s thickened up to almost lemon curd consistency, remove it from the heat and pass it all through a sieve.
- Pour the sieved Gluten Free Lemon Bars topping over the cooked shortbread crust and return to the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight to let it set up. The lemon bars will become firmer the longer they are chilled.
- Remove from the baking pan using the parchment to carefully lift them out, then cut into pieces.