Skip to content
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 oz dark chocolate, grated finely (I used a food processor)
- 1 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange extract
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 8 oz dark chocolate, 60-70% Cocao, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- Zest of one whole orange
- Brownie Batter:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9″x13″ metal baking pan with parchment paper – make sure that the paper overhangs from the edges by an inch or so. Grease with butter and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter with the sugar.
- Next add the eggs, one at a time, beating for about 5 minutes until everything is well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, baking powder and the finely grated chocolate. Use a whisk to make sure it’s combined well.
- To the egg, butter and sugar mixture, add the orange juice, orange extract and vanilla. Mix it in for a minute or so.
- Next, while mixing on low, add about 1/2 a cup of the combined dry ingredients at a time.
- Continue mixing until everything is well combined.
- Scrape the batter into the baking pan and spread it out so it’s even.
- Bake in the oven for about 24 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when it’s ready. Don’t over bake these – you want them to be moist!
- Allow the brownies to cool completely to room temperature, while still in the pan.
- Once the brownies have cool, pour the warm Chocolate Ganache topping over top. Lift the pan up and tilt it back and forth to spread the topping on evenly. Doing it this way will make a nice shiny and even top – without marks from your spatula or other tool – looks so nice this way!
- After the topping as been spread, sprinkle the orange zest on top while the ganache is still warm.
- Put the pan of brownies in the fridge to chill for at 20 minutes or so to allow the topping to set.
- Once the topping has set, CAREFULLY lift the brownies up and out of the pan by holding the edges of the overhanging parchment paper next step