- 1 medium eggplant (about 7 inches long)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cups chunky marinara sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Slice the eggplants into circles, about 1/3 inch thick. Pour milk into shallow bowl and bread crumbs on to a lipped plate. Dip each slice in the milk, moistening both sides. Then, press on to bread crumbs ensuring both sides are thoroughly coated. Place slices on the baking sheet and bake until tender about 25 minutes.
- Spoon some marinara sauce, about 1/4 cup, on to the bottom of a deep casserole dish or 8 x 8 square baking pan. Add a layer of eggplant slices and cover with more sauce. Sprinkle some mozzarella over the sauce, then repeat the layering until you’ve reached the end of your eggplant slices. Top the slices with the last bit of sauce and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes. Casserole should be bubbly and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let the the eggplant parmesan set for about 10 minutes before serving.
(Thanks to Older’n Dirt for the nutritional values below!)
450 Calories; 21g Fat (42.2% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 1745mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.