Can I offer you a warm bowl of Beef and Barley Vegetable Soup? I recently made this soup on a rare cold and dreary day here in sunny Arizona. It was the perfect day for staying home and doing little things around the house while the pot simmered away on the stovetop.
I’m actually not sure if this recipe would be considered a soup or a stew. I tend to make all my soups on the thicker side, with lots of chunky goodness and roughly chopped veggies. If the potatoes and carrots aren’t cut too small, they hold up better to the long slow simmer this soup needs to make that beef tender
Slow cooker, hearty, easy. Serve with a hearty bread, and enjoy.
Imposible Beef Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups water
- 4 cubes beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can chopped stewed tomatoes
- salt to tasteground black pepper to taste
- In a slow cooker, cook chuck roast until very tender (usually 4 to 5 hours on High, but can vary with different slow cookers). Add barley and bay leaf during the last hour of cooking. Remove meat, and chop into bite-size pieces. Discard bay leaf. Set beef, broth, and barley aside.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute carrots, celery, onion, and frozen mixed vegetables until tender. Add water, beef bouillon cubes, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, chopped stewed tomatoes, and beef/barley mixture. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 20 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
#beef recipes for dinner#beef recipes easy#beef recipes crockpot#beef recipes ground#roast beef recipes#healthy beef recipes