This LOW-CARB EASY CHEESY ZUCCHINI BAKE is perfect for lOW CARB lover . It's fresh, easy, easy to make, healthy. the perfect recipe to make for your party...!
- 2 medium-sized zucchini cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 – 4 T chopped fresh basil more or less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or other mild white cheese such as Monterey Jack Use low-fat or full-fat cheese, whichever you prefer. Use a little more cheese if you like it extra cheesy!
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan plus a little more for the top if desired
- I would use less Parmesan if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can.
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8″ x 8″ or 8″ x 11″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I originally used the small size, but now I prefer a slightly bigger dish.) Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. (I used a mini salad spinner to dry the basil and Herb Scissors to cut into thin slices.) Slice green onions.
Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Pierce a piece of zucchini with a fork to be sure it’s mostly tender.)
When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
This kept well in the fridge overnight, but mine was gone the next day so I don’t know if it would last longer than that!
For years now, this Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake has been the most popular zucchini recipe on my blog!