Moist and fudgey chocolate cake with rich and creamy, double chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting.
For chocolate cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
For chocolate frosting:
- 1 pound finally chopped semisweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 8 inch round baking pans.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Dissolve coffee in boiling water and stir in the batter (the batter will be thin).
- Divide batter into 3 prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Add cocoa in boiling water and stir to combine and remove any lumps, set aside to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool to room temperature ( it take about 30 minutes)
- Beat the butter and powdered sugar until it’s light and fluffy
- Combine cream cheese with the cocoa.
- In the light and fluffy beaten butter and sugar mixture add cooled melted chocolate and continue beating until it’s evenly combine.
- Then add the cream cheese and cocoa mixture and beat well.
- Frost the cake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings (optional) and set in a fridge for a few hours before serving.