A classic cake is made into rich, dense and delicous brownies. Smother them in cream cheese frosting and they’re dessert perfection.
- 4 oz bitter-sweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 3/4 c butter
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 oz) bottle red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9×13 inch cake pan with aluminium foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease or spray foil with non-stick spray. (For thicker brownies, use a 8×11.5 cake pan and add an additional 5 minutes to cook time.)
- Melt chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl (for melting chocolate tips see bottom of post). Whisk in sugar until all combined. Stir in eggs one at a time until just blended. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours) before frosting.
- Lift brownies from pan using foil as handles. Gently remove foil. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting* on top of brownies. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.