Easy Healthy Candied Pecans
Growing up, my dad used to travel a lot. As a treat, he would bring home all the packets of honey roasted peanuts that he collected on his flights.
Side note: Who else is bummed that airplanes only serve plain peanuts these days??
Just like those sweet and crunchy coated peanuts, I also love candied pecans. There is something so comforting about them! They remind me of the holidays – probably because they are used in so many holiday recipes!
But candied pecans aren’t reserved just for special occasions – they’re a delightful addition to healthy salads. I’m not the kind of person that usually orders a salad when I go out to eat, but seeing candied pecans listed in the ingredients can often sway me into getting one!
Here’s the thing though – as healthy as nuts are for us, candied pecans are usually covered in sugar. (And sometimes dairy, which is a no-no for me.)
Another Side Note: Did you know that the American Heart Association recommends eating at least 4 servings of nuts per week? Nuts can even help lower the risk of certain diseases, especially heart disease.
The good news is that with a few simple swaps, you can make HEALTHY candied pecans that fit into a paleo diet!
These Paleo candied pecans are also gluten free and dairy free…but they are still the perfect texture and flavor! You’ll never know the difference and you’ll feel so much better eating them!
Grab a handful for a protein-rich snack, add them to salads and other recipes for a sweet crunch, and use them in those holiday desserts.
You’re welcome! 😉
What makes these healthy candied pecans so amazing?
Why do I love these healthy candied pecans? Let me count the ways:
- Only 4 ingredients needed
- Cooks in less than 10 minutes
- Paleo, gluten free, and dairy free
- No refined sugar
- Perfect topping for both sweet and savory recipes
- A totally satisfying stand-alone snack or dessert
- Oh and did I mention they’re delicious?!
What’s So Great About Paleo?
I generally eat a Paleo-ish diet, though I’m not super strict about it. Mainly, I stay away from wheat and as much processed food as possible. Though I am a sucker for rice!
My mom however swears by Paleo and Whole30 eating. You can read more about how Whole30 changed her life here.
How to Make Paleo Candied Pecans
Paleo Diet Healthy Candied Pecans
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Place the pecans in a separate large bowl.
- Pour the maple syrup mixture over the pecans and toss to coat.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread the pecans on the tray until they are all laying flat.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir the pecans (making sure they are laying flat agaiand bake for 2-3 more minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 30 minutes and the coating will harden to a perfectly sweet and crunchy exterior!
The Source https://thesoccermomblog.com/healthy-paleo-candied-pecans/