Unless you’re living under a rock, you’ve heard the news: there is a staggering amount of research out there that confirms a seemingly simple fact: refined sugar is bad.
It’s bad for your mind, bad for your weight, bad for your teeth, bad for your overall health—just BAD. But this simple fact presents a complex problem. Refined sugar is in SO much of what we eat on a daily basis. It has infiltrated our whole wheat bread, for goodness sake!
Dr. Lustig’s informative video proclaims sugar ought to be viewed “like cigarettes and alcohol, as something that’s killing us.” Numerous in-depth articles showcase the many sources of evidence against sugar. And widely popular diets are kicking out refined sugars left and right!
Here is the good news…you can easily swap in healthier sugar alternatives. The next time a recipe calls for sugar, feel free to try one of these sugar substitutions instead.
Sugar Replacement Chart
Replacing Sugar with Honey
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/4 Cup of Honey
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/4 Tbsp. of Honey
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/4 tsp. of Honey
Replacing Sugar with Stevia
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 1 tsp. of Stevia
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 1/8 tsp. of Stevia
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = a pinch of Stevia
Replacing Sugar with Xylitol
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/8 Cup of Stevia
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/8 Tbsp. of Stevia
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/8 tsp. of Stevia
Replacing Sugar with Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/4 Cup of Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/4 Tbsp. of Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/4 tsp. of Maple Syrup
Other Natural Sugar Substitutes
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Lo Han Sweetener (Monk Fruit)