- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 and 1/four cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (345g) sifted all-reason flour, (spoon & leveled)
- half of cup (100g) packed mild brown sugar
- four large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 and half of cups blueberries, sparkling (258g) or frozen (do not thaw– 275g)
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- zest + juice of three medium lemons4
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. (224g) complete-fats brick style cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- three and half of cups (420g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons (15-30ml) heavy cream6
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and gently flour three 9×2 inch cake pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the cake: Using a hand-held or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until creamy – about 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium-high pace till creamed, approximately 2-three mins. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until the whole lot is absolutely combined, approximately 2 complete minutes. Scrape down the sides and backside of the bowl as wished. Set aside.
- In a massive sized bowl, toss collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry components to the moist substances. Beat on low velocity for 5 seconds, then upload the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Remove from the mixer and stir lightly till the whole lot is just combined. Toss the blueberries in 1 Tablespoon of flour and fold into the batter. Batter is extraordinarily thick. Do not overmix at any factor. Overmixing will lend a hard, dense textured crumb.
- Spoon batter calmly into three prepared cake pans. If only the usage of 2 cake pans, your bake time can be longer. Bake the three layers for about 21-26 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out easy. Mine took 21 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to chill completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Using a hand-held or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed till no lumps remain, approximately three full minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 Tablespoon cream, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer jogging on low. Increase to excessive pace and beat for three minutes. Add 1 greater Tablespoon of cream to thin out, if preferred.
- Assemble and frost: First, using a massive serrated knife, trim the tops off the cake layers to create a flat surface. Place 1 layer in your cake stand. Evenly cover the pinnacle with cream cheese frosting. Top with second layer, greater frosting, then the third layer. Top with frosting and unfold across the sides. The recipe doesn’t make a ton of frosting, simply enough for a mild frost. Top with blueberries or lemon garnish if favored. Refrigerate for at least forty five mins earlier than slicing in any other case the cake may additionally collapse as you cut.
- Make in advance tip: Prepare desserts and frosting 1 day in advance. Keep desserts at room temperature, covered tightly. Refrigerate prepared frosting in an airtight container until geared up to apply. Frosted or unfrosted cakes may be frozen up to two months, thaw overnight inside the fridge and convey to room temperature if preferred earlier than serving.
- This batter will suit right into a 9×13 pan. Fill 2/three complete. If there’s extra batter, you could make a few cupcakes. I’m unsure of the baking time on the grounds that I simplest commonly make it as a layer cake.
- Room temperature eggs preferred for even distribution among batter. Simply set right into a bowl of heat water for five minutes earlier than using or set out whilst you set out your cream cheese/butter for the recipe.
- Be very careful now not to overmeasure your flour. This will result in a heavy, dense crumb. You want a specific 345g all-reason flour. For a lighter crumb, you could use 3 + 1/four cups (about 325g) sifted cake flour alternatively.
- Please use buttermilk on this recipe. See note in post about how to make a DIY model at domestic.
- 1 medium-size lemon = about 1 tablespoon of lemon zest = 2 to three tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Use brick-style cream cheese. Not cream cheese unfold.
- Heavy cream with 30% or greater milk fats preferred in frosting for creamiest texture. For a much less creamy texture, milk might be excellent.
- Source : https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/02/09/lemon-blueberry-layer-cake/