8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces white chocolate
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tbsp red liquid food coloring
2 tbsp natural unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
melted dark or semi-sweet chocolate, to decorate (optional)
raspberries or sliced strawberries, for serving
- Set a rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray 4 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and white chocolate in the top of a double boiler, stirring until smooth. When completely melted, stir in the confectioners’ sugar. (I melted my white chocolate and butter in the microwave in bursts of 15 seconds.)
- Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Stir in the red food coloring and melted chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the cocoa and flour in a small bowl to combine. Add to the batter and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the sides of the cake are set but the centers are still soft , 14 to 15 minutes. Let the cakes rest for 2 minutes, then invert them onto dessert plates.
- Serve the cakes immediately, dusted with confectioners’s sugar and with berries on the side. (I dusted mine with the sugar, then drizzled with melted dark chocolate, and served with fresh raspberries.)