2/3 cup (about 80 g) confectioner’s sugar, plus more for ramekins
4 tablespoons (about 60 g) unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
2/3 cup (about 120 g) semi sweet chocolate, I used chocolate chips
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of 3 ramekins (I used 220 ml ramekins). Then dust the ramekins with some confectioners’ sugar.
- Place the eggs, confectioner’s sugar, salt, vanilla extract and instant coffee into a large bowl. Mix them with a electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Break the chocolate into pieces (if you don’t use the chocolate chips). Place the butter and chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth; stopping to stir every 25 seconds (or use a double boiler to melt the chocolate). Let cool slightly.
- Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Then add the flour, and whisk just until combined (do not over mix).
- Pour the batter into prepared ramekins (do not overfill).
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 11-13 minutes or until edges are set but center is still soft; don’t overbake. Remove from the oven and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Run a small knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto dessert plates or you can serve each molten lava cake still in the cup.
- Serve warm.