1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted + more for buttering ramekins
2 cups white chocolate chips
4 tbsp. heavy cream
1-1/2 cups 7UP®
6 egg yolks
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lime
2 cups cake flour
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 package cherry gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
12 maraschino cherries
Lemon and lime zest
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk boiling water together with gelatin package, and stir in 1 cup 7UP®.
- Pour into small, round silicone molds and place two cherries per circle.
- Place in refrigerator until firm.
- Pop in the freezer while preparing lava cake batter.
- Prepare batter by melting together butter and white chocolate chips.
- Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup 7UP® and heavy cream until smooth.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, and both zests together in a bowl, then stream in chocolate mixture slowly to temper eggs.
- Sprinkle in cake flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt, and mix together.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared ramekins, pop out one cherry circle and place in ramekins, then cover with remaining batter. Repeat.
- Bake cakes for 17-19 minutes; top should begin to crackle a bit. Remove from oven, run a knife around the edge, and turn out onto a plate.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, lemon/lime zest, and maraschino cherries.